If anyone happens to visit Jodhpur, then he must plan a trip to the Mehrangarh Museum. The museum is an architectural stunner and is one of the best places to visit in Jodhpur. The museum will take you on a time travel trip. The museum is managed by the Mehrangarh Museum Trust and has everything that one would like to know about the history of the royal family.
The best thing about the fort is that it has different sections for different objectives.
- Shrinagar Chowk: This section comprises India’s best collection of howdahs. Howdah is the seat for carrying people on an elephant’s back. You will also find Jodhpur’s finest royal palanquin collection.
- Daulat Khan Chowk: This section displays beautiful textiles, paintings, manuscripts, headgear and the curved sword of the Mughal emperor Akbar.
- Phool Mahal: It is a beautiful eighteenth-century palace which has beautiful paintings and royal portraits.
- Takhat Vilas: This palace is named after Maharaja Takhat Singh who had thirty maharanis. This palace houses the bedchamber of the maharaja.
- Cradle Gallery: In this section, you will witness different cradles that were used for infant princes of the Kingdom.
- Moti Mahal: This palace had the main hall where all important events like social gatherings,official meetings and receptions.
- Also, there is an Armoury section that displays a rare collection of armour from every period in Rajput history.
The museum of Mehrangarh is spectacular and entertains many tourists from all over the world every year.
Although Mehrangarh fort and museum has everything to entice anyone another thing which makes Mehrangarh fort a visual delight is light and the sound show. The annual festival that started in 2007 by the Mehrangarh Museum Trust and the Jaipur Virasat Foundation showcase the culture and the rich tradition of music. Famous folk artists every year are invited to showcase their musical legacy.
This Jodhpur museum is indeed a must-visit for everyone who wants to witness and be a part of the rich history and legacy of Rathore kingdom!